Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

I Want To Visit FORKS, WA

Love Twilight. Hate Twilight. Totally indifferent to Twilight.

It doesn't matter. We've all accepted what a huge phenomenon it has turned into.

Self-confessed Twi-hard, here. I'm not one of the uber obsessive fans, but I won't pretend I didn't wear a Team Jacob t-shirt to the "New Moon" premiere, either. Let me just tell you, I've never received so many compliments on my wardrobe from 14 year olds, in my life!

For those people who HATE the series and ask me to name one good thing that came from it, I have an answer : The survival of a little town named Forks.





Forks, Washington is a real place. Stephenie Meyer (A native Arizonian) was looking for the cloudiest, rainiest place in the continental United States. Google gave her Forks, and thus the setting was made. And Forks needed Twilight, far more than Twilight needed Forks.

As a small logging town that was losing its industry and a community that was struggling to make ends meet, it has greeted the Twilight phenomenon with open arms. Don't believe me? Check out the official population sign proudly displayed in their Chamber of Commerce.



In fact, outside the Chamber of Commerce they have Bella's truck, from the movie version, for visitors to stop and take their picture with.


They have a couple specialty stores just for Twilight merchandise, and tours that travel around the town and showcase places mentioned in the story. The town has completely embraced being the location of the place where Edward & Bella met.

And let's not forget the actual Quileutes (Native American tribe), who werewolf Jacob Black was a member of ... they're feeding into it too, as witness by this sign at the start of their reservation.


(Admittedly, the Pepsi logo detracts from the overall feeling a bit, but advertising...)


I've never been to Forks, WA. And until recently, I never even knew it existed. Now, I'm enough of a grown-up (and on most days I try to be a realist), I know the story is pure fiction. I don't really believe there are vampires running around in Forks, or werewolves out on the reservation.

But as a writer -- one who really enjoyed the books -- I'm so tempted by the idea of seeing a place where the story world has come to life in so many ways. In truth, I'm a little jealous. My characters and settings are always vivid inside my head ... but what I wouldn't give to be able to visit them in real life from time to time!

Post a Comment

0 Comments