Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Fish, Brown Rice, and Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce

(A): The great thing about this recipe is that I use tilapia- a fish that is truly a wonderful catch considering the fact that it's cheap (I buy it on sale at H.E.B. for $2.99 for a pound of filets), easily kept frozen, and yet quite tasty


(B): I forgot to place the sliced avocado on top of the fish before taking the picture, so please forgive me

(C): This dish is pretty simple if you own a rice cooker- I couldn't imagine life without the Cuisinart Rice Cooker/Steamer that I got for Christmas a few years ago by either Michalle and Matt or Nana and Papa (I don't remember specifically so credit them both)

(D): If you don't own a rice cooker/steamer, I strongly recommend getting one for the ease of cooking rice and steaming vegetables- especially if you plan on following more of my recipes. The worst-case scenario upon using it is that you forget to lift the lid and stir a few times while it's cooking so some of the rice at the bottom gets slightly burned. Other than that, you can cook everything from simple white rice to full blown risottos (recipes will soon follow) with very little effort or worry, and they cook the rice so well that I find no need to add flavor by wasting money or unhealthiness on using broths or butter.
OVERALL INGREDIENTS:
-olive oil
-1 shallot
-1 garlic clove** or cheat and use a 1/2 tbsp. from a jar of pre-minced garlic
-seafood seasoning (I love Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Seasoning Blend)
-sea salt
-1 yellow bell pepper
-1 cup uncooked brown/wild rice blend (I LOVE the H.E.B. cheap brand California blend)
-1/4 cup of sherry wine
- 1 (bunch?) of asparagus
-1 lb. of fish filets (again, I favor the tasty but cheap thawed out frozen tilapia)
-paprika
-onion powder
-1/3 cup butter- I use pure whipped butter if okay with having milk ingredients or substitute Earth Balance natural spread if okay with having corn ingredients- it all depends on the rest of my week's diet)
-2 egg yolks
-1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
-1 1/2 tsp. lemon or lime juice
-dash of tabasco sauce
-2 avocados (or half an avocado per plate)
STEP ONE: THE RICE AND VEGGIES
INGREDIENTS:
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1 shallot, peeled and diced
-1 garlic clove, peeled and minced** or, as I use, 1/2 tbsp. pre-minced garlic
-1 tsp. seafood seasoning
-1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
-1 cup uncooked brown and wild rice blend
-1 3/4 liquid cup of water
- 1 handful of asparagus, chopped into two-inch pieces
-1/2 tsp seafood seasoning
-1/2 tsp sea salt
DIRECTIONS IF USING A RICE COOKER:
Pour olive oil in rice cooker/steamer and cook for 1 minute. Add shallot, garlic, and seafood seasoning. Stir and let cook for 1 minute. Add bell pepper and let cook for 3 minutes. Add rice and water, replace lid and let cook for 25 minutes, stirring about 15 minutes in. Stir after 25 minutes, add steamer lid to top. Put the asparagus in steamer lid, sprinkle with seasoning and salt, stir, replace lid, and leave everything be until cooker switches to warm.
DIRECTIONS IF NOT USING A RICE COOKER:
Cook brown / wild rice according to directions. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut asparagus and slice bell pepper into 2 inch long pieces. Place in a bowl, add olive oil, shallot, garlic, seafood seasoning, and salt. Stir. Pour onto a greased baking pan. Cook in oven for 12 minutes.
STEP TWO: THE FISH
INGREDIENTS:
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1 lb. fish filets
-1 tsp. sea salt
-1 tsp. seafood seasoning
-1 tsp. paprika
-1 tsp. onion powder
-1/4 cup of sherry wine
DIRECTIONS:
Heat a nonstick frying pan on the stove over med-high heat with 1 tbsp. olive oil for about a minute. While heating, place thawed out fish filets on a cutting board and season with half the salt, seafood seasoning, paprika, and onion powder. Add fish to pan, seasoned side down, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the other half of the salt, seafood seasoning, paprika, and onion powder. Add half of the sherry wine and flip the filets. Cook for 1 1/2 mins. Add the rest of the sherry wine. Scoop fish out and place on a plate to cool.
STEP THREE: THE HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
INGREDIENTS:
-1/3 cup of butter or Earth Balance natural spread
-2 egg yolks
-1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
-1 1/2 tsp. lemon or lime juice
-dash of tabasco
DIRECTIONS:
Microwave butter or spread for 50 seconds. Place rest of ingredients in a blender and blend for 5 seconds. Add melted butter and blend for 5 more seconds.
Pour sauce over fish, rice, asparagus, or all.
STEP FOUR: THE AVOCADOS
INGREDIENTS:
-2 avocados (or half an avocado per plate)
DIRECTIONS:
Slice avocado in half lengthwise, remove seed via knife. Cut avocado into slices and push out about 1/2 an avocado per plate on top of fish or rice.

Post a Comment

0 Comments